Thursday, November 02, 2006

Millenials In The New Millenium

Echo This: Not All Echo Boomers Are The Same
By Lauren Mills

They are creative, not dull. Individualistic, not ordinary. Smart, not slow. They can multi-task without distractions. Who are these super heroes? Where do we find them?

Just look around. You can find them anywhere. They make up one-third of the U.S. population and they walk the streets, and some even drive cars like the other two-thirds of this country. Many of them want to make a difference and a name for themselves, rather than just being one in the 80 million of their kind. Are you one of them?

If you were born between 1982 and 1995 then yes, you are one of them. The generation is labeled as the “Echo Boomers.” They even have titles like “Generation Y” and “Millenials.” Whatever our name may be, other generations are too quick to label and categorize us as one in the same. How can 80 million people have so much in common besides age range?

A story titled “The Echo Boomers” on CBS’s 60 Minutes with Steve Kroft seems to think all of us are the same. We wear the same brands, we all play video games, we want to be team players, we all like to spend money. Well wait, hold on now just a second! I was born in 1984 and those accusations do not apply to me, with the exception of the latter. “What brands do they love? Sony, Patagonia, Gap, Gillette, Aveda.” No. I have to disagree. I loathe the Gap, and I do not own one Patagonia jacket.

However, I do love my Diesel jeans and I do not know where I would be without my North Face in the winter. I have not played, let alone seen a video game being played, in eleven years. Do I like to work together with others and offer my help when I think needed or when asked? Of course! But I would much rather be the head of my own company, make my own decisions, and let all of my employees collaborate and work together below me. How would a Baby Boomer, the writer of this article, know what I want and desire at my age and in my future?

Not everything, however, that was said is wrong. Kroft did correctly identify my richly scheduled childhood. “After graduating from ‘Gymboree’ and ‘Mommy and Me,’ they have been shuttled to play dates and soccer practice, with barely a day off, by parents who’ve felt their kids needed structure, and a sense of mission.” That was childhood, and everyone else’s that I am acquainted with. Did our busy schedules as children morph us into the multi-taskers that we are today?

The report did bring up another point that I find true. Our generation is very technologically savvy. I know that my parents, and a majority of other Baby Boomers, have no idea how to make the computer function the way they want it. “They are the first to grow up with computers at home, in a 500-channel TV universe. They are multi-taskers with cell phones, music downloads, and Instant Messaging on the Internet. They are totally plugged-in citizens of a worldwide community.” He brings up a good point. I can find out where any of my friends are at any time just by picking up my phone and sending a text message or taking a glance at the Internet.

The article was biased. Some things said were right, but others were way off. When I show up my first day at a new job I do not assume everyone will treat me extra special or take the time to really get to know me. I am not that naïve. I will take on the role of being at the bottom of the totem pole, but I will envision myself climbing to the top. With all of the things we are exposed to on the Internet, an “Echo Boomer” like myself, knows that it is a cruel world and that we are all fighting our own battles.

No comments: